The new self-drive boating holiday takes in a stretch of the River Thames famed for being a hotbed of culinary talent. Starting in Benson, at the foothills of the Chilterns, the easy-paced Foodie Cruise allows holidaymakers to sample some of the country’s finest dining experiences as they eat their way along the famous waterway to Chertsey in Surrey.
With so many acclaimed restaurants cooking up a storm en route, as well as a feast of picturesque villages and historic towns such as Henley and Windsor to whet one’s appetite, Europe’s largest self-drive boating company recommends that guests allow between 7 and 14 nights to fully enjoy the 96km river cruise.
Those with a taste for fuller shouldn’t miss the chance to tuck into these suggested gastronomic hotspots during the Foodie Cruise:
- THE MILLER OF MANSFIELD (Goring): Behind the doors of this lies an award-winning kitchen food dishing up delicacies with a twist.
- THE FRENCH HORN (Sonning): This charming coaching inn offers haute cuisine in an enchanting Thames-side setting said to be a firm favourite with local resident George Clooney.
- SIDHU (Marlow): This elegant restaurant is owned by Atul Kochhar, one of Britain’s most critically acclaimed chefs and the first to win a Michelin star for his sophisticated take on Indian cuisine.
- ANDRE GARRETT AT CLIVEDEN (Taplow): For fine dining served up in the magnificent neoclassical that is Cliveden House, André Garrett’s exquisite dishes are guided by the seasons and brimming with locally-sourced produce.
- THE HINDS HEAD (Bray): Heston Blumenthal’s famous gastro-pub was awarded a Michelin star for its unique menu that blends much-loved British dishes with the innovative style pioneered by the master of molecular gastronomy.
The Foodie Cruise is available from April until October and prices for a seven-night trip on a luxury Horizon cruiser sleeping up to four starts from £1,138. The high-spec boat combines space, modern features and comfort, making it the ideal choice for couples and families alike. The priced includes a fully-equipped kitchen, towels and linen plus boat-handling instruction and technical support. For further exploring, or to burn off extra calories, bicycles can be rented from £6 per day (adults / £4 (children). To find out more visit www.leboat.co.uk or call 0844 417 2028.
About Le Boat: Le Boat is the largest operator of self-drive boating holidays on the waterways of Europe, operating its own fleet of 900 self-drive cruisers from a network of over 39 different departure bases across nine European countries. Le Boat brings together over 40 years of expertise and experience of Crown Blue Line and Connoisseur in Europe and Emerald Star in Ireland. Visit www.leboat.co.uk for more information.